We have always used Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop for the initial prototyping of our app designs. Though a bit of an overkill, we were familiar with it and hence stuck with it for a long time. Then a friend introduced us the Sketch App. And it just blew us away..
Firstly, it’s less than 50 MB installed on your hard disk. 50 freakin MB. Can you imagine that? Adobe Illustrator is more than 1.5 GB and Photoshop is well over that. We became a believer right then. Of course don’t get us wrong. Illustrator is still one of the best when it comes to making accurate drawings that involve stylus inputs and Photoshop is the king of digital image manipulation.
If you google you will find a million comparisons between Sketch, Photoshop and Illustrator but believe us Sketch wins when you are looking at getting started with the initial screens of the app and it wins in Web Design because of its superior grid layouts, ability to export all layers separately in one go and get CSS attributes for your designs!
And the templates included are so much handy. They have templates and export options for almost every iOS device screen size, Web Design and most popular Android ones. It is a match made in heaven for studios like us.
So Sketch has now become our de facto software for building our initial designs.
It is available for download from their official website. You can first download a Trial version and then purchase the licence if you like from HERE.
If you are really interested here is a small list of awesome free tutorials that will help transition to the software. Note that some of the tutorials are of Sketch 3 while the latest version available right now is Sketch 4 but be assured that the learnings in them still apply!
After the Reboot of our Studio we took a tiny break and now we’re back in the office.
This is what’s happening for 2017!
• Finish Quote Codes. We have had a bumpy road on this but finally we are now moving in the right direction. The bulk of the technology is done. What we’re doing now is some in-game mechanics, some animations, a little intro, bug fixing and fine tuning. We’ll keep you posted on a release date and we have documented the entire journey from Design to Code which we would be sharing– The game will be out in the first half of this year.
In the meantime go check out the pages from the game and don’t forget to follow them!
Besides Quote Codes we are doing some exciting collaborations and working on a few cool things
• We’re collaborating with Ranganath Krishnamani an amazing artist to work a secret project that is very close to our hearts (more details on this later!)
• We are also collaborating with some amazing people overseas for a wacky little game called the Last Drop that is based on this awesome saying by a very wise old man – “You can shake it, you can fling it, you can beat it against the wall.. But when you put it in your pants, that last drop will always fall” (We leave the rest to your imagination :p)
• The Game Quantum! reworking this and coming out with a more refined, more enjoyable version of our cute little game is one off our top priorities. More details in the coming months!
• Some Android related stuff is also planned!
• And probably a lot more cool stuff for later this year.